Thursday, December 11, 2008

Playing with Palindromes

I love to play with words. Why? I had no friends to play when I was growing up. Seriously, finding the right word or words is important for successful communication and motivation. To better use words it is OK to have fun with words. When was the last time you spent some time playing with palindromes?

A palindrome is a word or sentence that is the same spelled forward or backward.

Examples and Occupational Applications:
Restaurant Staff > stressed no tips (spit on desserts)
First Couple > Madam, I’m Adam
Math Teacher > Never odd or even
Honeymooners > Niagara, O roar again
Zookeepers > Panda had nap
Philosopher > I saw I was I
Animal Lovers > Step on no pets
Cowboy > Too bad, I hid a boot
Theologians > Do geese see God?
Pastors > Dennis sinned
Church Attenders > We panic in a pew

Now, let’s return to some important thoughts about the words we use. In his recent book, Axiom, Bill Hybels writes, “The very best leaders I know wrestle with words until they are able to communicate their big ideas in a way that captures the imagination, catalyzes action, and lifts spirits. They coin creeds and fashion slogans and create rallying cries, all because they understand that language matters. … I often take long walks around our campus in search of one key word for a leadership talk I am working on. One word.”

Take some time to play with words. The more you play with them the better you will learn to use them as a powerful tool to communicate your ideas and motivate others to action.

No comments: