Thursday, October 30, 2008

2008 A.I.I.M. Conference

Pam and I enjoyed our three days near the top of the mountain in Blowing Rock, NC at the A.I.I.M. Conference. We actually saw snow on the ground and felt 50 mph winds in the air. It was cold outside and but our hearts were warmed by the fellowship with about two dozen other Intentional Interim Pastors and their spouses. Being one of the only, if not the only, Wesleyan currently serving in this type of ministry this network is important to me.

Why is the A.I.I.M. Conference so important? This conference reminds me of the calling that God has placed into my life. That calling is to assist churches in transition to refocus on the Great Commission and the Great Command of our Lord. The dream of most pastors, I believe, is to serve in churches that are healthy, thriving and growing. Who in their right mind would want to pastor a church that is struggling, grieving or in conflict? Yet that is where God has called me and in that call I am finding fulfillment and satisfaction. I hope to serve as a catalyst for several churches to recover their bearings and refocus on their mission before I retire some years from now. But even if I only can help one, it will be of great value for that one and for the Kingdom.

Here are a few quotes that I heard at the conference that impacted me. I hope that at least one of them speaks to you.

“You can’t talk yourself out of something that you behaved yourself into.” Stephen Covey

“If you can’t get out of it, get into it.” Outward Bound Motto

“We can become so caught up in the life of the church that we forget about the life of faith.” Barbara Brown Taylor

No comments: