Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Very Special Sunday

Sunday was a special day in the life of NGWC. The congregation experienced three special events.

1) During the morning service the seven members of Transition Team was announced to the congregation. There are four ladies and three men on the team, they range from approximately age 35 to 80, span a range of 3 years attending the church to over 50 years. I believe that these seven people represent a full range of perspectives on the latest church conflict. As we concluded the service this morning the congregation gathered around this team and commissioned them in prayer. The first team meeting is an overnight retreat scheduled for November 7th and 8th.

2) The Youth of the church sponsored a spaghetti dinner after the morning service as a fundraiser. Approximately 50 people enjoyed a fine meal and supported the youth. Our current youth group consists of about eight teens and is led by a great young man, Chris James. I believe that great days are ahead for the youth ministry under his leadership.

3) During an afternoon baptismal service I had the privilege of baptizing five individuals. Each of them gave testimony to how they had come to faith in Christ, what God is doing in their lives and how much their church family meant to them. Our thanks go to Rushwood Park Wesleyan Church for letting us use their beautiful facilities for this service. My prayer is that the church will have additional baptismal services both during my two years with them and in the coming years.

Pam and I plan on attending the Annual Intentional Interim Conference in Blowing Rock, NC this Monday through Wednesday. Last year was my first conference and I found it very helpful and insightful. This is a great opportunity for us to network with others serving in this specialized field of ministry. I am going with two or three questions that I hope some of veteran IIMs will help me figure out the answers to. My intentions are to post an article later in the week about our trip.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers when the Lord calls us to your minds.

No comments: