Monday, October 20, 2008

Enablers to Encountering God

Reflecting on the great moments of forgiveness in human history also got me to thinking about the moments when I am most aware of and sensitive to the presence of God in my life and around me. I wish that I was more like David when he wrote, "O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you ... My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me." (Psalm 63:1, 8)

It is in those moments that I most strongly feel the presence of God that I also feel most alive. So, I offer to you the following list that I call - Great Enablers to Encountering the Presence of God:

Hearing & Singing Heart Warming & Soul Stirring Music

Experiencing the Awe Inspiring Beauty in Nature

Observing the Honesty & Innocence of the Mentally Handicapped

Observing the Tender Care & Concern Shown to One Another by Lifelong Spouses

Experiencing the Faith & Hope of Christian Families in the face of Death

Witnessing the Church functioning as the Body of Christ

Receiving the Sacrament of the Lord’s Supper

Experiencing Brokenness in a Moment of Vulnerability and Weakness

Having opportunity to Serve God & Others using One’s Spiritual Gifts

What enablers would you add to this list of experiences or activities that help you to encounter God in a more powerful way?

No comments: