Friday, February 27, 2009

20 Resolutions Regarding the Tongue (#12-16)

Proverbs 6:16-19 > There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.

Did you notice that three of the seven things God finds detestable are things that we do with our tongue? No wonder that Jesus said, “I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.”

And Jesus’ half-brother James warns us, “Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body.”

All the more reasons for trying to live by the 20 Resolutions for the Tongue from the Epistle of James by Sinclair Ferguson (refer back to the Feb. 23, 2009 blog when we began the listing of these 20 Resolutions). Here are the next four resolutions:

13) I resolve never to grumble. The judge is at the door (5:9).
14) I resolve never to allow anything but total integrity in everything I say (5:12).
15) I resolve to speak to God in prayer whenever I suffer (5:13).
16) I resolve to sing praises to God whenever I’m cheerful (5:14).

Only four more resolutions to go. Until next time …

No comments: