Tuesday, February 24, 2009

20 Resolutions Regarding the Tongue (#5-8)

James says to be slow to speak. He does not say to not ever speak. In other words, we need to ponder over our words before we pour them forth. Let’s use “THINK” as an acrostic for some questions to ask ourselves before we talk.

T – Is it TRUE?
H – Is it HELPFUL?
I – Is it INSPIRING?
N – Is it NECESSARY?
K – Is it KIND?

Answering these five questions before speaking should result in less repenting after we speak.
Now, here are four more of Sinclair Ferguson’s 20 Resolutions for the Tongue from the Epistle of James (refer back to the Feb. 23, 2009 blog when we began the listing of these 20 Resolutions).

5) I resolve to learn the gospel way of speaking to both rich and poor (2:1-4).
6) I resolve to speak in the present consciousness of my final judgment (2:12).
7) I resolve never to stand on anyone’s face with the words I employ (2:16).
8) I resolve never to claim as reality in my life what I do not truly experience (3:14).

The rest of the 20 Resolutions are on the way. Until then – THINK FIRST; SPEAK SECOND!

No comments: